MINUTES
Marion Soil and Water Conservation District (MSWCD)
Regular Board Meeting
2710 East Silver Springs Boulevard
Ocala, FL 34470
April 15, 2022
9:30 AM

PLEASE NOTE: Individuals wishing to address the Board will need to sign in. A three-minute time limit will be administered to each of these individuals. PLEASE MUTE ALL PHONES. This agenda is used as guidance for the structure of the meeting. Thank you.

I. Call to Order
Chairman Justin Albright called the meeting to order at 9:35 AM.

 Roll Call
Justin Albright, Chairman; left at 10:29 AM
Vivi Serena, Vice-Chairman/Treasurer
Colleen Stenstream, Secretary
Brent London, Supervisor

Others in Attendance
Ann Bishop, MSWCD Staff
Tina Johns, Citizen
Jerome Brown, Citizen
Misheal David, Citizen

 Proof of Publication
Star-Banner – Sent an email on March 23 and a reminder on April 7.
Florida Administrative Weekly – Posted in the FL Admin Weekly on April 7.
NRCS – Sent an email on March 23 and a reminder on April 7.
Marion County Board of County Commissioners – Sent an email on March 23 and a reminder on April 7.

 Chair’s Comments Regarding the Agenda
 Public Comments on the Agenda Items Only

II. Approve Minutes and Financials
PROPOSED MOTION: Colleen Stenstream moved that the minutes and financials be approved as presented. Brent London seconded. All were in favor.

III. Updates
 Bylaws
Ann Bishop went over the changes that were made to the bylaws. FDACS, James Fort and Angela Weeks-Samanie approved via email the statement regarding the technicians.
PROPOSED MOTION: Brent London moved that MSWCD accept the changes to the District’s bylaws as presented. Vivi Serena seconded; all were in favor.

 Vacancy
The Board discussed the vacancy.
PROPOSED MOTION: Vivi Serena moved that MSWCD advertise the appointment of the supervisor vacancy for the May Regular Board Meeting, and the Board will appoint a new supervisor at that time. Brent London seconded; all were in favor.

 Farm Preservation Festival
Brent London gave a recap.

 Run for the Springs
Rachel Novak would like to collaborate with the District; she also asked if anyone would like to volunteer, assisting her with the Run, and asked if we had anything we wanted to give the participants. Volunteers need to be there at 6:30 AM – 9 AM; Runners need to be there at 7 AM.

 Contests
– Poster/Found Art
Ann Bishop gave a recap.

– Conservation Landscape Trays Thank You Letters
The Board reviewed the thank you letters.

– Envirothon
Ann Bishop gave a recap.

– Awards
Ann Bishop gave a recap of the winners.
PROPOSED MOTION: Vivi Serena moved that the Board award the two, high school students Conservationist of the Year. Brent London seconded; all were in favor.

– Scholarship
Colleen Stenstream will be attending the Scholarship Ceremony at Vanguard on May 17. Brent London and Vivi Serena asked for more information regarding this event. The Board will decide the winner at the next meeting. Ann Bishop reminded the Board that they will need to sign off on the forms if they score the applicants.

IV. Meetings
 NACD
NACD posted their Summer Meeting Agenda and tours online. Last day to reserve a room is June 24. The reservation link, however, has not been posted. Ann Bishop confirmed who was attending.

 SECDEA
Ann Bishop gave a recap of the SECDEA Meeting. She mentioned that this year’s meeting is November 6-11 in Pigeon Forge, which conflicts with the District’s monthly meeting. Ann, also, mentioned that next year’s SECDEA Midyear Meeting will be in St Augustine in April, and that FCDEA (she) will have to set this up.

 UF/IFAS
Ann Bishop gave a recap.

 AFCD/FDACS
AFCD and FDACS will be having a meeting on April 20 at 9 AM to discuss question regarding the SB1078. Ann Bishop stated that if a board member did not get the email to let her know.

 FCDEA
Ann Bishop gave an update on the FCDEA Midyear.
PROPOSED MOTION: Colleen Stenstream moved that the Board provide bags to the FCDEA Midyear attendees. Brent London seconded; all were in favor.

V. NRCS
 Report
NRCS was not in attendance.

VI. FDACS
 Contracts (update)
The Board discussed the positions. The Board asked Ann Bishop to send Justin Albright the emails that she sent to FDACS asking for responses to questions, where they did not respond. Justin will follow up with FDACS. James Fort has not given a time and date for the meeting. Also James stated that he needs to follow up with Angela on the temp agency.

– Posting Job Vacancies
PROPOSED MOTION: Vivi Serena moved that the District move forward with the posting of the three technician vacancies. Colleen Stenstream seconded; all were in favor.

– Payroll
Ann Bishop sent information on payroll to the Board via email. The Board would like to revisit the topic of payroll during the workshop on April 26.

VII. Staff Report & Recap
 Office Relocation (Update)
Ann gave an update on the office relocation.

 Storage
Ann Bishop gave an update on the District’s storage unit.

 Reporting
– FDACS
Ann Bishop discussed the FDACS reporting. Final close outs, tech and cost share

– Audit
Ann Bishop stated that the audit is currently her priority and getting the information for the financial disclosure.

– County
Ann Bishop mentioned that she is working on mandatory classes and a reimbursement packet.

– Insurance
Brown and Brown (formerly PRIA) needs the District to provide information for their upcoming insurance quote, and the insurance company needs a loss report ran.

Ann Bishop mentioned that she needs to utilize her time and reminded the Board about the upcoming workshop and AFCD meeting. Ann also reminded the Board that they will revisit the long range plan in a few months.

VIII. Upcoming Events
– FDACS Reporting Due – April 15
– FCDEA Monthly Meeting – April 19
– AFCD/FDACS Meeting – April 20
– MSWCD Workshop – April 26
– Run for the Springs – April 30
– AFCD Website Monthly Training – May 9
– MSWCD Monthly Meeting – May 10
– Central District AG BMP Quarterly Meeting – May 11
– FCDEA Midyear – May 12-13
– FDACS Reporting Due – May 15

IX. General Public Comments
Misheal David gave input on some projects that the Board could work on.

X. Supervisor Comments
The Board gave an overview of SB 1078, and Vivi Serena stated that she would like to have a discussion in regards to fighting this Bill if it becomes law. She also asked for information on converting our 501C5 to a 501C3.

XI. Meeting Adjournment
– Our next meeting is April 26, 2022 at 9:30 AM in the Growth Services Building; this is a workshop.

– With no other business needing addressed, Vivi Serena adjourned the meeting at 10:56 AM, until our next meeting.

MSWCD’s regular meetings are held at 9:30 AM on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, and their workshops are held the 4th Tuesday of each month at 9:30 AM, tentatively. Both meetings are located in Growth Services, located at 2710 E. Silver Springs, Ocala, FL 34470. For more information, call (352) 438-2475.